Saturday, September 02, 2006

NEWSFLASH: Hell has frozen over!

Little Man cut his long awaited top tooth. Princess asks to go to bed! Husband not *complete* idiot! One of these stories is simply not true!

Well, Father's Day has come and gone. It was somewhat overshadowed by the above news. Little Man didn't have his tooth through at morning tea time. By lunch time however, he was like a saber-tooth tiger that had just got his sabers. Well, saber anyway. Actually, it was just this little white fleck peeking through the swollen gums but there it was. I suspect it actually came through when he did a face plant into the kitchen bench. Yes, the Bench of Unyielding has claimed another victim, bringing forth the Tooth of "we-waited-for-six-sleepless-weeks-for-that-tiny-thing"! Great! Another how many to go?

And in other completely unexpected news, Princess actually asked to go to bed. And it wasn't because she had stashed supplies of yummy food under her bed in case dinner was crap, which it never is. She actually wanted to go to sleep. She had had several days of rigourous activity and had just gotten over a cold so that might have contributed, but by 7 o'clock on which ever night it was, she was fast asleep and didn't wake up until 3am, when she told me she had a bad dream and her feet hurt. I asked her why her feet hurt and she said they didn't, it was in the bad dream. So I took her back to bed and told her that she should not worry about her feet or the bad dream. She didn't want to go back into the dream and have sore feet again. I told her that when she went to sleep, it would be a completely new bad dream and there was no telling what might hurt until she got there, so not to worry about her feet. About an hour later she came in to tell me that she'd had a bad dream where someone was chasing her and Big Ted and I asked her how her feet were. She said they were fine and I said, "There you go. All better. Now go back to bed until 7(am). Don't make me chase you."

We were mistaken when we assumed that once Little Man cut his tooth he would start sleeping through again. Unfortunately, he had gotten himself into a routine of waking up in pain. Well, the pain was gone but why give up a perfectly annoying routine if you don't have to. And what's even better, now when he wakes up for his 2am rant, he feels fine so he plays and laughs and giggles and bangs and kicks the wall and tries to reach stuff and says things like, "dadad gloddle oddle bup oddoo blupeeiiieeeee glurdle dadddaadd mmmmmmmmm. Hi." Its cute the first few times and then its really annoying. The first few times ended two days ago.

Anyway, back to Father's Day. Well, in my house, Father's Day apparently means Father's Turn. Up at 6am to feed Little Man, change nappy, burp Little Man, wipe up vomit, put Little Man to bed, try and convince Princess that its not time to get up or sing, almost make it back to bed, try to settle Little Man, change nappy, get breakfast for Princess to try and shut her up, get breakfast for Little Man to try and shut him up, wipe up breakfast, wipe up Little Man, change nappy, change Little Man, change TV channel for Princess, change channel again looking for cartoons that Princess likes, finding "Lion King" DVD, getting Little Man out of high chair, wipe up vomit, grab God knows what out of Little Man's mouth, fix DVD for Princess, find biscuit for Little Man, sooth grumpy Little Man, put Little Man into bed, lie Little Man down, lie Little Man down, lie Little Man down, give Little Man bonjella, lie Little Man down, walk out on Little Man standing in his wooden cage laughing at his daddy, sit down in lounge room and ponder the possibility of going back to sleep in the five minutes remaining before 7am. No point. Besides, I knew if I wanted any more pampering for the rest of the day, I'd better let DW have some sleep.

When DW did finally get up, it was present time. I got a huge Toblerone chocolate thing from Little Man and a cap and some araldite from Princess, and a really cool router kit from DW. Didn't see that coming. Actually, that's true. I was hoping she wouldn't get the cheapest router she could find and instead she gets not only a very good router, but a whole set of bits and stuff to go with it. Now I really have to clean up the garage. Princess also made some stuff for me at Kinder. She gave me a keyring with her photo, a card she had made herself and a hanky with a picture of me painted on it. Or possibly a picture of what she expects will happen to the hanky the next time I get a cold. She said it was me but it could still go either way. She also drew a picture of me on a card with a bunch of things she knew about me. Like, how handsome I am, cold season notwithstanding. That I was "maybe six" years old and I like Pepsi Max and watching movies and Buffy on TV. I like strawberries and yogurt, playing catch and brushing her hair, which makes me sound more gay than I really am. Still, it was the best part of the whole day for me. What can I say?

Ciao!

Thought for the Day: Thou shalt not change thy wife's desktop image

No comments: