Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Achtung!

No, I don't have a cold. I was just saying "hello" in German. Strictly speaking, "achtung" means "attention" but that is how Germans greet each other. Ok, now that I have successfully alienated my German audience (like I have an "audience" LOL) its time for today's Blog of the Day.

I don't really have anything important to say but I felt like saying it anyway. Life has been a bit of a blur lately. Sleep isn't happening as much as it should be. Little Man is driving me mad with his waking up and playing three or four times a night. Princess is driving DW mad just about every time she opens her mouth (Princess' mouth, not DW's). Work is busy and until my boss gets back, I'm in the driver's seat - not that we are going anywhere fast.

Once again I fell into the trap of thinking Little Man was FINALLY sleeping through. He actually did it several nights in a row. The first couple of nights, my body didn't know what to do so it woke up anyway. That's annoying but at least I didn't have to get out of bed. But then I managed to actually sleep a whole night or two myself and my body thought, "WOW, this is great. We should do this EVERY night." There must have been some tangible change in my manner because Little Man sensed my growing internal peace and relaunched his attack on my sanity. Sadly, he is winning. My sanity and I have decided to have a trial separation, because it just doesn't seem to be working out. Oh, we will still be friends, and I'll get to have cogent thoughts every other weekend, but it looks like its time to just accept the inevitable.

On the upside, I now have a fridge in the garage, that current holds nothing but Pepsi MAX, so I really can't complain.

Next week comes a new milestone in Princess' life. DW and I start looking at schools for next year. There are really only two contenders, the local primary school and St. Brutus' School for the Criminally Insane. I can't really tell the difference between the two but we are planning to visit both for a tour, provided we can find a babysitter during visiting hours.

It seems only yesterday that it was Tuesday and DW and I were discussing how quickly Princess has grown. Five years can really drag. Next year she starts school and DW and I will likely shed many a tear between now and then. As it happens, due to the age cut-off for schools, Little Man will not be attending Kinder next year, as he doesn't turn three until late August. However, DW sees it as an opportunity, not a damned curse, and all things considered I think she may be nuts. She reasons that she spent three years with Princess before Little Man came along, and she has never been able to give him that same level of attention.

Admittedly Little Man is capable of entertaining himself more than Princess ever could. He loves trucks and cars and can play with them for minutes at a time. He loves playing outside and will eat mud and sand and dog poo and grass and flower petals and anything that doesn't move. I am concerned that my dog's arthritis is slowing her down because Little Man has started watching her like she's a handful of sand. It will be interesting next year when he leaves the Terrible Twos and enters the Pyschopathic Axe-wielding Threes. Its so great watching them grow up.

Ciao!

Thought for the Day: I like to Google, Google. I like to Google, Google. I like to... GOOGLE!

No comments: