Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It's the thought that counts...


Here we go again.

This morning a dragged my butt out of bed at 6am and went for a run. I haven't been for a run for years. Why this morning? No idea. Why run? Still no idea. I hate exercise. People say you can develop a habit in 21 days, but I have tested this theory and found it is either wrong or doesn't apply to me. I tried exercising for 30 days in a row but it still wasn't a habit. Two days of sleeping in and I was hooked. I tried studying on the train rather than sleeping, every day for a month. The habit I formed was falling asleep with my head dangling over my iPad. 

But I still need to live a long and healthy life if I want to celebrate 100 years of marriage to DW so whether it becomes a habit or not, I still have to exercise. 

On Sunday DW, Princess, Little Man and I went to the local food and wine festival. It's an event that I look forward to every year, and I was excited that two of my sisters also decided to come along. I'm not sure if they enjoyed themselves or not but I did for the most part. Princess and Little Man made things quite difficult, constantly asking to buy food or pointless little toys. It does make for a long day, and both DW and I were absolutely exhausted by the end. Still, I'll look forward to the one next year and hope that the kids can behave a bit better. Maybe next year I'll get my butt into gear and submit a photo for the comp. 

Tomorrow marks the 14year anniversary for DW and I. I bought a present for her three months ago and it's been so hard to keep from giving it to her early. I'm quite proud of it, not because I made it but because I thought of it. I have no doubt she thinks she knows what it is, but she doesn't like to guess what presents I get for her. She hates it when I try to guess what she gets me.  In fact, it took lots of control to avoid trying to guess what she bought for my birthday - I have spoiled many a surprise it the past that way. To be fair to her, the presents she bought for my birthday were quite a surprise and even if I had been guessing, I doubt I would have come up with meteorites and a star!  

I don't have a great track record of buying presents for DW. I have tried to surprise her many times in the past, and most of those times she was very surprised, but not in a good way.  Apparently a really dumb present can be just as surprising as getting her something she actually wants. So I have developed a new system. I now ask her what she wants. Or she goes out and buys something before I can and then thanks me for it. It's really a system we have co-developed. You may think the surprise element would be lost, but it hasn't been, just transferred to me.  I'm often surprised by what I have bought for her. The new system, which we have dubbed "a better idea", does reduce re-gifting and embarrassed apologies on my part, and disappointed looks on DW's part.

Anyway, tomorrow I step out on a limb again with a present that DW has no idea about, and she is scared, I can tell you. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ciao!

Thought for the Day: I wonder if social networking and the Internet might one day result in humanity becoming a super organism like ant colonies. 

No comments: