Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Howdy blogfans! Its time for more bloggy goodness. I can't guarantee you'll get any here but let's just see what happens, shall we? Things have been pretty crazy at work and yesterday marked the completion of an important and time-consuming project, which means I don't have to panic anymore. I wasn't required to panic before either, I simply chose to. So, the pressure at work has let up a little, how about at home? Its hard to say. Because DW reads this blog. I'm only kidding (really kidding). Sleep has become the new currency in our house. We trade it for looking after the kids in the middle of the night or doing the dishes. We trade it with Princess for extra TV time or another story and occasionally even ice-cream. We had a system.

Then came Little Man. Little Man and his Little Ways. Oh, he seemed innocent and quiet and lulled us into a false sense of security. Then, BAMM! He finds his Little Man voice, which is ironically not so little. He has cut a second tooth only two days ago which hopefully accounts for his restlessness but nothing really prepared us for his yelling. He is not unhappy. He is loud. Controlled crying only works if the little bugger cries. There is no such things as controlled yelling, controlled whining or controlled grumpy.

Interestingly enough, Princess can sleep through the whole lot, no matter how loud he gets, as long as it occurs reasonably soon after she falls asleep. And when she falls asleep, it is like witch laughing her head off.

"I don't wanna go to bed. I'm not tired. I'm not even sssssszzzzzzzzzzzz...."

Once when we were on a very long drive, Princess impressed us by talking for 115 minutes of a 2 hour trip without taking a breath. When she stopped speaking abruptly, I checked the mirror and saw her little blue head slumped forward as she started snoring. A couple of minutes later, at our destination, Princess woke up the instant the car stopped and announced that she may have fallen asleep and picked up where she left off as if nothing had happened. I tend to lose my train of thought if I fall asleep, but not Princess. Her train stays firmly on its tracks and resumes course at the earliest opportunity.

So, back to Little Man and his great big happy voice. He has discovered that he can assert himself and has decided to make up for all those months of being passive. He has even taking to clocking the Princess if she gets too close. One of my more interesting IMs from DW was to tell me that Little Man was chasing Princess and hitting her. Little Man thought it very funny and pursued with great vigor while Princess was starting to get annoyed. And so they went around the lounge room. DW decided she would intervene at the intermission and made herself some popcorn and watched the show. I should mention that Little Man, as determined as he is, can't actually hurt Princess unless he pulls her hair, and she has lost enough hair to be wary of that now.

So that is the current state of affairs at my house. It is fun to watch the kids play together and enjoy each others company but they can be a whole lot of tiring. I don't expect they will always get along so well so I should enjoy it now, and I do. Did I mention the tiring? Anyway, DW cops it far more than I do so I can't complain too much. So I guess we'll just keep on hoping that his teeth will settle for a while and he doesn't get over stimulated during the day. Did I mention that he is just about to start walking? Damn!

Ciao!

Though for the Day: I thought I knew what I knew I thought but now I think that I think I know the thoughts I knew when I thought new thoughts. I think.

No comments: