Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I recently had my first "comment" posted by someone I don't know. Aaron, who shall remain nameless, wondered what it was that I didn't like about the Bunnings Ads because he found them quite amusing. Well, firstly I should say, that's perfectly fair and I don't wish to discourage Aaron from posting comments, or anyone else for that matter. Everyone has an opinion and unfortunately many people don't share mine. Obviously they would be happier and more well-adjusted if they did, but it does take time, so stick at it guys.

Secondly, to answer the specific question, I shall reply by saying "Nyeh!" And what's more, I know the message they wish to communicate is that they have a really big store, but its coming across as "really big but too cheap to pay actors so we are going to use people we are already paying." The problem isn't that the people aren't actors but that I don't actually go to Bunnings to see the staff. My interest in the staff is in their ability to tell me where stuff is and how to use it. If one of them actually said to me, "Whaddya think of the store? Big, isn' it?" I'd probably want to whack them on the forehead and say, "I'm already in the bloody store, you idiot!"

Bunnings used to have the little line guy in the ads and that was fine. They still use him/her for advertising specific specials and that is also fine. People telling me that their store is so big, people lose their spouses is meaningless and annoying. Maybe its cheaper than divorce? Maybe they like to say things like, "You've lost your wife but what about this very pretty, young hammer and its on sale!" Next we'll have a superstore open in Mt. Thomas of Blue Heelers fame where the crims are being chased by the cops and say, "Quick, into that Bunnings. We'll lose them there!"

I actually like Bunnings and I buy a lot of my hardware and timber requirements from there. The prices are pretty good and the quality is also good. But I doon't like the ads with the people. I like the ads with the cartoon line guy. Does the cartoon line guy make me want to buy stuff? No, but he doesn't make me want to stab myself with a fork either. Do I really hate the Bunnings ads so much that I would actually consider hurting myself even if I didn't do it? In an word, no. I don't. The intention was to simply convey that I REALLY don't like the ads and capital letters only go so far.

I am usually pretty careful not to portray myself as a critic. I'm not really sure what makes so many people so sure that their opinion should not only be highly regarded, but also adopted by those who have thought less about a particular subject than they. I know my own opinion is rarely shared, and perhaps just as rarely justified, but I don't offer it with the intention of others adopting it. Rather, I would have them consider it in light of their own circumstances, or I would not offer it at all. In case you are wondering, Aaron's comment did not upset me in any way nor did he intend it as a challenge. Or maybe he did. The point I am making is that we often forget that others don't necessarily gain the understanding we intend when we communicate our opinion, so I try not to direct people in their thinking. No doubt I am not always successful.

I guess part of this issue stems from a recent conversation I had with the editor of the newspaper for the university where I work. Its a big Uni and the newspaper has a wide circulation, both internally and externally. The editor asked a colleague of mine if he was involved with online blogging, to which my colleague replied in the negative, citing his own lack of anything interesting to say as the reason. The editor in turn replied by affirming my colleague's position by saying, "You'd have to be a complete nutter to think that people would be interested in what just anyone thinks." Apparently determined to destroy my chances of ever being published in the Uni paper, I piped up with, "Gee, I hope not! Still, maybe..."

Well, I don't think I am a complete nutter but the editor still has a point, if somewhat overstated. However, as long as anyone can be just anyone and still have something to say, then they should feel confident in saying it and anyone who wants to listen may. Editors are not custodians of words or thoughts. The printed page may be thier domain but that just makes them better than the rest of us. Hang on, I think that's his argument. Basically, I am just going to say what I want to say and if people want to read it then they may. If you have read anything I have written so far, hopefully you should know to take it with a grain of salt. Actually, you should probably use the whole sachet. And for the record, I may be a nutter but its DW who completes me.

Ciao!

Thought for the Day: Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep and thought they had been stolen. "Bring back my sheep, you filthy creep, or I'm gonna tear you a new one!"

No comments: