Monday, August 07, 2006

Monday really is the bottom of the hill. Wednesday is hump day, which isn't as fun as it sounds. At least, not always. Thursday is just a big old tease and Friday is the long walk home. Basically, its Tuesday I don't really get. Dent Arthur Dent didn't get Thursdays. Some band, possibly the Monkeys, didn't like Mondays. Actually, no one likes Mondays. Mondays are manic. Saturdays are apparently ok if you want a fight and Sundays I believe are supposed to be fundays. So why even have a Tuesday? Tomorrow is Tuesday and I can tell you, I'm not looking forward to it. Its a non-day. Nothing great happens on Tuesdays.

Only, both my kids were born on Tuesdays. And if you say Tuesday the way Princess says Tuesday ("Chooseday") it sounds like its full of opportunity and options. So why do my Tuesdays seem to be little more than a way to get from Monday to Hump day? Again, I stress, Hump day is just a way of extending the metaphor of a working week being represented as a hill, with Wednesday being at the crest. We could call it Crest day but then we wouldn't have a hump day at all, and I find that a little depressing.

Also, more people die on a Tuesday from long-term illnesses than any other day of the week. Despite the previous statement being completely unfounded, it just makes you think, doesn't it? I should mention that I am not particularly afraid of Tuesdays, not only because I am not suffering from a long-term illness, but because it is so transitory that it really cannot be seen as threatening.

I think it would be better to not have Tuesdays and save them up until the end of the year and have a REALLY long New Years Eve, lasting approximately 52 days. Then Tuesdays would be seen a fun and hip. Or maybe we should actually save all decisions until Tuesdays, or only eat Ice Cream on Tuesdays or maybe only watch cartoons. Just something to make the day stand out and not be so boring.

I was trying to find a "Tuesdays Anonymous" club online, but either it just doesn't exist or they are taking the anonymous part far too seriously. There are over 33 million websites returned for a search on Google for Tuesdays, but none of them are about Tuesdays. Maybe we should be able to choose to "double-up" either Monday or Wednesday. "Two times Monday" would be for the masochists but I would be more than happy with a "double hump" Wednesday, oh yeah.

Maybe I should try and do something interesting on a Tuesday. That way I could say, "Its Tuesday. Cool!" Even typing it looks weird. Dwarf tossing seems like a Tuesday sort of sport, though I'm guessing they do it all week, like everyone else. Or maybe Extreme Knitting where you have to knit your own bungy cord as you fall. How about everyone who has to work at a desk be nude from the waist down?

I'm open for suggestions.

Ciao!

Thought for the Day: Know thy movements. Plan your bran

2 comments:

Julie said...

The Monkeys. The Boomtown Rats. Tomaytows, Tomahtoes :)

Bernard Meade said...

Sure, the Boomtown Rats sang about their dislike of Mondays, but it was the Monkeys who REALLY hated them.