Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My efforts to make myself more personable and outgoing took a dent yesterday when I was walking home after work. It was just after dusk and I was listening to music and I decided to try out my new "say hi and smile" policy. A young lady was approaching and I smiled and said "Hi". Apparently I am unable to correctly gauge how loud to speak when I am wearing headphones and I gave the poor girl something of a fright. It probably wasn't helped because I wasn't sure whether to go with a small, polite smile or a warm, open grin and ended up doing a bit of both. Because it was getting dark, I wanted to make sure she knew I wasn't dangerous or strange so I opened my eyes really wide as well. Anyway, it didn't go very well. She all but bolted past me. It was probably lucky I didn't see anyone else before I got home.

Tomorrow is a big day in our household. It is Little Man's birthday. We have put up with him for one whole year. Each year for Princess' birthday, DW has made a very pretty party dress to celebrate, however, we have decided not to encourage Little Man to wear dresses, party or otherwise. He can choose to do so when he can choose to do so. Anyway, that's my attempt at political correctness. So I decided to build him a truck. Not because he is a boy, but because a making a truck out of wood is easier than making a party outfit out of wood. Only, I haven't actually tested this and I may be wrong.

Now it has come to my attention that not only is reading the operating manuals of power tools and valuable equipment a good idea, it is also considered prudent to have more than just the word "truck" written down as part of the plan for building a truck. DW was good enough to point that out for me. So, a while back we visited DW's parents place and we took several photos of a wooden truck that her brothers played with when they were little, and Princess plays with when we visit. Having ample source material from which to guess how to make a truck, I then set about guessing the measurements. Remembering my usually, "measure once, cut twice, make smaller truck" philosophy, I got stuck into it on the weekend. Fortunately, I allowed enough wood to practice with and I even bought a coping saw to help with the tricky bits. I told DW I needed a coping saw. DW asked if I had been using a not coping saw for my previous projects and if I perhaps should have thought about coping earlier. This comes from a woman who laughed at me because I needed a cold chisel and she suggested I should try a band that was still together.

Anyway, I cut and coped and measured and realised that I had completely forgotten what the truck actually looked like. So I went inside and checked the laptop for the photos we had taken. After my six or seventh trip, DW suggested I should maybe print out a couple of the photos and take them out to the garage. I pointed out that we would need a printer to do that and she pointed out the printer. So, I printed out a couple of key shots and headed out. Now, in my very forward-thinking manner, I had thought to pop one of Princess' shoes on the tray of the truck in order to provide a reference for measurement. I wanted the truck to have a very "me" feel, so precise measurements were obviously unacceptable. Anyway, it turns out that kids grow pretty quick so Princess' feet have gotten larger, and accordingly, her shoes. So the truck, which was intended to be "ride-on" would have been more of a "ride-in" had it not been saved from gross hugeness by my "measure once, cut twice, make smaller truck" philosophy. It all works out in the end.

Well, I hope so. I haven't finished it yet. So far it is a bunch of miscellaneous shapes of wood that I believe will look like a truck when placed together in the right way. It may yet be a dolphin. Which wouldn't be all bad because it doesn't have wheels yet either. I probably won't actually be able to give the truck/dolphin to Little Man tomorrow so DW suggested I buy a couple of presents "just in case you don't get it finished, though I'm sure you will, but better to be safe, yeah?" We are having another party for Little Man on Sunday so I am hoping I can have it ready by then.

Still, I think I am getting better at woodwork. I was going to build a dolls house but DW bought one just in time. She does her best to encourage me with little sayings like "the kids will really appreciate the effort... in time" and "At least now you have a coping saw. That's gotta be a relief." and my favourite "Why don't I make you a nice, heavy meal and put on a movie? We can talk about your latest project after you've fallen asleep." Anyway, Little Man is getting a truck or a dolphin for his birthday or soon after or maybe for Christmas if it kills me and everyone I love.

Ciao!

Thought for the Day: My brother just found out his wife is having triplets and they are all his.

No comments: