Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Only a short time to blog today. I've been busy and have probably spent a little too much time in veg mode in front of the TV. Fortunately, that's not something I do too often these days, but you need to occasionally. DW wasn't well today so I took my little princess to a four year old birthday party today. Watching people interact is something I prefer to imagine doing rather than actually doing but, if I have no option or alternative entertainment, I will resort to the real thing. Don't get me wrong, the parents of this mob of four year old, nearly four year olds and assorted siblings are actually very nice people and may one day read this and so I'd better speak well of them. Don't worry; I'll happily speak my mind of anyone who doesn't live in the same town as me. My problem is I can be a little aloof/distant/grumpy. I don't always present the most welcoming visage and that bothers me only occasionally and never really enough to do anything about it. So I smile when I should and make witty remarks about the kids and the cake and watch my own offspring as she charges about as though I injected the red cordial directly into her heart.
So who do I watch? The kids. I guess that most of the other adults are doing something similar to me and manufacturing an appropriate appearance to blend with the current crowd. To be fair, this group were mostly from DW's mother's group so they knew each other pretty well and may well have been less guarded with each other than I'm suggesting. I have no idea. I was watching the kids. The kids are so definite in character that even uncertainty is presented with conviction. It is quite extraodinary to look at a child and apply the sensibility of an adult and watch as they shatter all expectations and simply, openly and honestly reconfigure themselves at will. It is exactly the same with adults except the simple, open and honest part. It isn't an easy thing to describe. Adults are capable of behaving appropriately with those notable exceptions who "lack social skills". We all know people like that. Kids form a partnership when they play well together and it serves are greater purpose than to simply blend. Obviously they don't always play together and they can be cunning and nasty and not very angelic. Still, this group of kids are probably fairly indicative of all kids in similar circumstances. They are mentally and physically fairly equivalent, and have shared society since they were born. They are not yet truly competitive as winning hasn't taken on a special meaning yet and yet they love to strive together and understand the basics of fastest, strongest, best. The just don't mind if it isn't them.
Parents mind. Maybe five year olds mind. I'll let you know next year. Three year olds don't get it yet. I try not to mind but I really do. Kids can be fun to watch but they can also tell you something about the way you have positioned yourself in the world, and they society you keep. The choices you make aren't just for the welfare of your children, but their society.

Ciao!

When playing with kids always have one hand ready to defend your crotch. Its not fun explaining why you kneed someone's kid in the face.

No comments: