Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Why don't kids like to sleep in? My little girl is exhausted after a very big weekend with family and friends and late nights and more chocolate than even she can poke a stick at. Yet the moment the smallest hint of light creeps into her room from outside, she has to be up and making as much noise as is humanly possible. And it simply doesn't make sense that everyone else in the house shouldn't be able to enjoy the beautiful morning, not matter how bleak it might be. I probably should admit that as I write this at 7:30am, it is a perfect mid-Autumn morning, the sun is rising over the suburban sprawl and the blue sky is peppered with just enough cloud to give the day character. I am a night person, but I can still enjoy a beautiful morning. I just like to get a little more sleep beforehand.
You see, my little boy decided that he wanted breakfast at 5am. Now he is still breastfed so that duty falls to DW (dearest wife). However, between 5:30am and 6am he decided that he wanted more and eventually I had to give him a bottle as well. He took a little while to settle but by 6:30am, all was quite, not a creature was stirring not even a mouse. 6:35am Princess needed to go to the toilet. She is toilet trained but she considers the whole effort something of a performance and what performer doesn't want an audience? 6:50am and I have masterfully convinced her that it is still night time and she will be warmer and happier in her bed. 6:55am Princess declares the day has started. 6:56am, DW declares that while her day has not started, Princess is right; mine has. Not so much a declaration perhaps, as a rolling over and disappearing under the covers.
It will be an interesting day. I may write more later.

Ciao!

It takes character to smile at the morning sun as it pokes you in the eye. Character may be overrated.

No comments: