Friday, May 05, 2006

Another week has slid on by. Today I feel like my Blog title. Its funny how just knowing that we have plans for the weekend can make me feel tired. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm actually going to catch up on some of my missed sleep, but the truth is, I'm deep in the tunnel and the only light I can see is the one I carry myself. That sounds a bit dark. I mean the sentence, not the metaphor. Obviously it is likely to be dark in a tunnel except for the light you bring yourself. I've just noticed I'm rambling but as no one is here to stop me I'd better go lie down.

Fortunately, a short break can do wonders for the mind. So I am told. One day I will take a short break. Until then, a snooze on the train and a hot meal will also serve. I have now had both and I am just about to have a cup of tea. Earl Grey. White, no sugar. In case you were wondering. Anyway, speaking of birds, DW and I watched "Cheaper by the Dozen" last night and I found myself answering questions about what it was like when I was growing up. You see, I have ten siblings, but I felt that we didn't really compare to the Baker family in the film. Actually, it did bring back some memories.

I was quite young when the whole family was still at home so I don't remember much. However, there is exactly (to the day) 14 years separating oldest and youngest so there were only a couple of years that we were all actually on speaking terms. I don't mean we always fought - we did that too. I mean by the time the youngest could speak properly the oldest was about to move out. But there was that tiny window...

With regards to the film, we were quite unlike the Bakers in so far as we were far more disciplined. However, I do remember situations like the breakfast scene (before the frog incident). For us it was ordered chaos. It seemed perfectly normal but looking back it was more like a scene from a war movie when the generals are meeting in the war room and the underlings are rushing bits of important paper to and fro. For us it was planning the daily invasion of the nearby town on a schoolday. We took no prisoners - obviously because it wasn't actually a war and we didn't have anywhere to put them. I assume Mum and Dad were a little sad when the first of us left the nest but I seem to remember Dad saying "Ten more". We have all left the nest now, including Mum and Dad but we are still close and I blame the Internet.

As an aside, my brother and I were discussing families a little while back and reasoned that every family has a black sheep. I racked my brains for several seconds and it occurred to me that if I couldn't figure out who it was, it must be me.

Ce la Vie!


Thought for the day: If you lead a horse to water and drown it, is that kind of like making it drink?

No comments: