Wednesday, May 17, 2006

It has been brought to my attention that my mind is a little odd, some might say "scary" and occasionally "just take the damn pills already - don't you want to be like everyone else?". I would like to make sure that people understand that it is only on Tuesday mornings just before lunch that my mind is like a sand dune - which I think makes me quite normal.

So I am again forced to wait for my email. Damn email. I'd tell it off but it appears to be busy. I have to say that just typing whatever comes into my head is really helping me focus my thoughts. Which leads me to the topic for today, the Fridge.

For those of you who don't know, a fridge is somewhere you keep food cold so that it doesn't spoil and ants can't lift a whole fridge, even a lot of ants. It is also a place for sticking all those magnets you get from real estate agents who have buyers looking for a house in your area and will pay top dollar. It was also invented in Geelong. Or by someone from Geelong, though I'm not sure if he was in Geelong at the time. He may have been catching a train from Melbourne to Geelong, which would have given him time to invent the fridge. Also, fridges can, in combination with the aforementioned magnets, hold bills, child artwork and little sayings of inspiration like "Anyone can be a father. It takes someone special to be a Daddy" and "Mummies are angels in the making". Perhaps one saying "Smell it first" would be useful.

Anywho, we also have a little card which talks about what marriage is all about. Or more precisely, a concatenated version of what makes a marriage work. I can't really remember what is on the card except the last bit which says "It is not only about finding the right partner, but being the the right partner." I often wonder how you are supposed to go about doing these things. Obviously I am not questioning whether I have found the right partner because I have absolutely no doubt about that. Being the right partner is now the challenge.

It came as a bit of a shock to me recently when someone I know announced that he was separating from his partner of over 25 years. They always seemed very well suited to each other whenever I've seen them together and obviously they had something in common. But, appearances and reality are not always on speaking terms and can give the wrong impression. There are probably lots of reasons for their split and that is not what I am actually talking about here. I am talking about what happens after you find the right partner. How do you keep them being your right partner? Because you can't hope to control another person (and have a happy partnership) or should even want to, I guess it comes back to the second part, being their right partner.

I'm extremely lucky in so far as DW is every bit as committed as I am. We don't always see eye to eye and occasionally my sense of humour exceeds my commonsense, not that I have enough of that at the best of times. But DW is forgiving, understanding and even patient. I don't think she has a particularly short fuse, just that I can burn through it quite quickly. But these issues, frictions and points of dispute do not define us as a couple. Its very hard to know what actually does define our relationship but I can say that I am always excited to get home in the evenings after work. I love having weekends with her and the kids. Our marriage is working at the moment and I believe it will keep on working forever. The reason is that DW is the right person for me, not because I found her, but because she wants to be. And so do I. I think that's pretty cool, which brings me back to the Fridge.

Ciao!

Someone said to me "When I am wrong I change my mind. What do you do?" and I said I'd let them know.

No comments: