Monday, May 22, 2006

Time to be serious. Ok, now that's over, on to today's blog.

My little boy, aka Little Man, has been whinging a lot. As he is only nine months old, this comes out as a sort of "eeerrrrrrnnnnrrnnneernnrnrneneeeennnrrrn", though that could be partly because of the dummy. He occasionally says "mumumumumumumumumum" and farts in what seems to be code, but no one can stay in the room long enough to decipher it. And when I say fart, I mean "great big gelatinus poo" but I didn't want to say that because people may be eating. Anyway, he has been teething but that has been going on for a while. We assumed that the whinging noise was because he desperately wanted to become mobile, either to get stuff or escape the affections of Princess.

Well, I should be happy to report that he can now crawl. Unfortunately, he hasn't stopped whinging. The most noticeable difference is that the whinging can now follow us. DW and I have tried walking in opposite directions and he didn't know which one to follow, but he would keep crawling until he crashed into a wall. Its not as bad as it sounds because he doesn't crawl very fast. It sounds like "eeerrrrrrnnnnrrnnneernnrnrn
eneeeennnrrrnCCRRRAAASSHHHHH...
WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!"

His problem is he is tired. And so are we. The last few nights he stopped sleeping through the night. DW thinks he is teething. I think he and the Princess have a bet going to see who will crack first. I think I am winning because I heard DW say to the Little Man, "What did I just say to you?" Unless it was "eeerrrnennrneeer" or "mumumumumum" I don't think he's ready to answer. Mind you, at 3:45am this morning after listening to Little Man whinging and farting through the baby monitor (I swear he can actually aim), I was starting to say that too. Even Princess felt she had to come in to our bedroom and let us know what was going on.

Princess: "DAD!"

Me: "Yes Princess, what's the matter?"
(actually I may have just said "What?!?")

Princess: "Buddy boy is awake."
(She also calls him Honey Pie)

Me: "I know. I can hear him."

Princess: "He won't go to sleep and he is sitting up and going 'eerrr errrerr err'."

Me: "I know. I can hear him."

Princess: "I'm hungry."

DW decided to take control at this point and words cannot adequately express the efficiency with which she communicated her intentions and let everybody know the best way for the remaining portion of the night to proceed. She likes to play Good Cop, Bad Cop, and I play Other Cop Who Brings the Coffee and Doughnuts. Anyway, she got things back to normal at great personal effort while I did what I could by keeping the bed warm. I know there will be a few eyebrows raised at that (why didn't I get up and help you may ask) but I started my shift a little before 3:00am and if you remember, this part started at 3:45am, so get off your high-horse. Besides, DW wasn't in the "let's discuss how best to handle the kids in this situation" sort of mood. I had my assignment and I kept that bed warm. As it happened, she didn't come back to bed to appreciate my effort, but she did what she could to ensure that I had enough sleep to cope with a day at work.

You see, DW thinks its her job to make sure I'm able to do my job, when really its the other way around. Now I'm sitting here with a cup of tea in my quiet office and thinking about DW trying desperately to clean up after both kids and listen to the incessant chatter from the Princess and the "eerrereernneerenrneer" from the Little Man. I think I'll give her an extra big hug when I get home. And maybe some chocolate.

Ciao!

Thought for the day: Don't judge me. Babysit.


P.S. DW has informed me that it'll need to be a lot of chocolate.

No comments: