Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A good friend of mine recently told me he and his wife were going to have a baby. I think this is fantastic news and I'm sure he and his wife are going to be great parents. Each time I hear of a friend having a baby I find myself feeling very happy and upbeat, which is strange and might seem to be at odds with my blog so far. The fact is that before my own kids came along, I was fairly ambivalent about babies. I have lots of nieces and nephews and while I knew how to congratulate new parents, I was not really in the moment.

Having kids may not change everyone but it did change me. I had lots of goals and ambitions and time and I had to reorder my life. DW and I rarely go out, we never get a full nights sleep and hobbies are pretty much a distant memory. But I don't mind. Well, occasionally I wish I could still do my own thing but a little voice in the back of my head whispers that if things were different, I might not have the kids or be married to my beautiful wife. I couldn't imagine anything worse. I still have ambitions and goals but they have to fit in with my family or they have no place in my life. Being a husband and father matters more to me than anything I have ever done and I am proud of the effort I make in being the best I can be. I still have a long way to go and I won't be winning any awards anytime soon, but I really don't care about external acknowledgement. Father's Day and my wedding anniversary mean far more to me than my birthday or Christmas. See, I have changed. (I still want presents on those days though)

So to J&S I say you guys are in for the ride of your life. It really doesn't matter what sort of kid you get, they all depend on what sort of parents you are and you guys are really starting well. All parents still need a little luck so I also wish you "good luck".

Ciao!

Thought for they day: na-na-na-na-Na-na-na-na-na-Na-na-na-Batman!

No comments: