Monday, June 19, 2006

A brief experiment which involved me staring at the blank screen for several minutes has reinforced two things for me. Firstly, blogs don't write themselves. Secondly, computers don't turn on just by looking at them. Even for several minutes. Thirdly, there is no thirdly. However, I mention it because I think you will all agree that thirdly is a VERY funny word, you know, if you think about it really hard. For several minutes while waiting for your computer to turn itself on. Thirdly, thirdly, thirdly. See?

Ok, on to more important things. DW and I went out on Saturday night. Like, on a date, without kids. Earlier that day, DW had used the station wagon (yes, we have a station wagon - license: BrdyBnch) to transport our new bed (a blog for another day) and so the back seat was laid down. When we got in the car to go on our "date" DW said, with a twinkle in her eye, to leave the back seat just the way it was. I haven't eaten so fast in ages. Anyway, turns out the twinkle was actually glitter and DW sat up very late chatting to our babysitter.

Ok, to be fair to "Hulie" she is more than just a babysitter. She is a self-confessed Super-Nanny, only she can say "acceptable" properly, though she does make rather frequent pop-culture references, which to me, makes her largely unintelligible. However, not only did she super-nanny Princess asleep before we got home, me with the indigestion and shattered hopes, she also brought Pez. And not just ordinary Pez. Actually, it may be ordinary Pez. But Pez in Incredible Pez dispensers. You may have noticed I capitalized Incredible, and it is not because I am excited. The Pez dispenser is actually Mr Incredible, or at least his head, or more precicesly, plastic shaped and painted like his head, and his Incredibles family. They were all there, though I may have overlooked the invisble one.

So, why would a babysitter bring a gift of such obvious value for me? Well, as I mentioned, Hulie is not just a babysitter. She is, in fact, a very close friend of DW's and she and another friend "Hathy", or Doolie when they are together, visit DW and celebrate, things. They celebrate Christmas, birthdays, celebrities, craft shows, Saturdays and so on. And they exchange gifts and give Princess and Little Man books and presents and as many coloured lollies as they can eat. Apparently I get a little sulky so they have started giving me presents too, mostly to shut me up but also because I make the coffees. Only instant coffee this time though. I still have a red welt from my last brush with the PLUNGER of DOOM. Anyway, I gots me sum presents. Hathy got me a very nice bottle of red and told me to stop sulking and make the bloody tea, because she didn't want coffee. I like Hathy. And Hulie too, though obviously for different reasons, namely wine and Pez respectively. And they both have the highly prized talent of being guests and therefore, Princess magnets.

Anyway, it made for a very busy weekend but it was nice to see DW enjoy herself. DW, Hulie and Doolie all worked together BC (Before Children) and have maintained a close friendship ever since. DW is very good at making friends. The only friends I am good at making only last until Princess wants her playdough back. There's Squishy and Pete and Roundly Bob and they don't say much and rely heavily on me to help them with their facial expressions, but they listen without judgement, guile or interest. Obviously I can get that last bit anywhere but its the combination of all three that gets tricky.

I should mention that the above should not be taken to mean I don't have friends. It just means that I'm not good at making them. There are some people who either can't or won't read the warning signs (Beware of the God - he's dexlysic) who insist on making me into one of their friends. I do what I can to resist, like sulking and making coffee, but it happens anyway. In college I used to beat potential friends away with glasses of port and exotic teas but it never seemed to work. They would just keep coming back for more. Even when I started buying more expensive port. Some people just can't take a hint. Or maybe I'm just not very good at given hints.

However, after you get used to them, friends can be quite, you know, not bad. DW has lots of friends and Princess has even more, though she doesn't even know all their names. Little Man just loves everybody and smiles at absolutely everything, not just everyone. Me, on the other hand, I am the odd one out, at least according to DW, though that was relating to a different topic. Instead of a black man, she got a black sheep. However, I am big enough to admit that maybe, some tiny part of the blame lies with me. Obviously its mostly everyone else but perhaps I could do more to engage with people and not look down on them, or at least not tell them so. Also, things will be much better when I have enslaved all humanity but until then, maybe I will try and smile at people, and not just at strangers to make them nervous. Its a start.

Ciao!

Thought for the day: Not being able to remember a saying makes me madder than whatsit full of thingys.

No comments: